Monday, December 10, 2012

Our Education System Has Failed

A mother comes up and drops a load on the counter (load of shopping items, not...well, never mind). Unforgivable sin #1 is bringing us a bunch of stuff to ring up from other departments. We don't have the ability to process a large quantity of items in electronics. After ringing up her items, she hands me a coupon.
"I have this buy-one-get-one-free coupon for the Spyro Skylanders toys." I looked at the coupon, there was no Derp-Mart name or logo on it. So I called over a much more knowledgeable associate to help me. He glanced at it and immediately said "We only do price-matching here. We don't do promotional coupons."
"What's the difference?" She asked.
"Price-matching is when we change the price of our product to match the price of a competitor. Promotional coupons are getting items for free as long as you purchase a certain amount of another item."
"Fine!" She spat. "Here, process this coupon." she handed over a $5 off your purchase at Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon.
"This is a promotional coupon." My associate said.
"Just try ringing it up in the register." She demanded.
I scanned the barcode and the register rejected it. "Maybe you need to call in assistance from customer service. See if they'll process it." I got on the phone and contacted our customer service reps up at the front. Nope, we don't take it.
"Whatever. Doesn't hurt to try." she finished, paid for her items and left fuming.
Oh, buy it should. It should.

No comments:

Post a Comment