Wednesday, December 12, 2012

One Fish, Two Fish, Black Fish, Cat Fish

We don't normally deal with the pet department next door. In fact, us electronics people never help. But, after a customer was kept waiting for an associate to help her with the fishes, we had to step up to the plate.
"I want those black fish there." the elderly black woman informed us (I took an extra associate with me for backup). We grabbed a plastic bag, the kind you get at carnivals, filled it with the right temperature water and went fishing for the fish that she wanted. "I want 3...no wait, I want 2. Or do I want 3? How many do I want?"
"3?" I asked.
"Ok, 3." She confirmed. We grabbed the 3 and handed it to her."Oh and one of the tiny cat fish."
"So, 4 fish total?" I double-checked.
"Wait, 4? No. 3. Just these 3" She said and left....only to return a few minutes later. "You didn't give me my cat fish."
"You said you didn't want it."
"No, I definitely want them. And I don't want these yellow fish. I want the orange ones." She said, handing me back the black fish.
"Yellow fish? You mean black?"
"Black?"
"These fish are black, not yellow." I told her.
"Whatever they are, I don't want them. I want orange. 3 of them."
So I put the black fish back in the tank, and fished out a cat fish and 3 orange fishes and handed it to her.
"Right, I got it all."
"Yes."
"Wait, I need a cat fish."
"You have the cat fish, it's right here." I said, pointing to the bag with the fish.
"And the orange?"
"In the bag next to the cat fish one."
"Ok. Do I need anything else?"
"No?"
"No. Ok, thank you so much."
I don't think that woman has all her screws in place. And I highly doubt she remembers where she lived. As far as I'm concerned, she's still driving around, wondering not only where she lives, but what she's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment